Announcement: Computer Science/ Software Engineer Summer Internship
Human Life Action, in partnership with BTS Software Solutions, announces a summer internship opportunity for a student of Computer Science to design and build a website. Human Life Action (HLA), is a project of National Committee for a Human Life Amendment (NCHLA), a 501(c)(4) public welfare organization which seeks to encourage grassroots advocacy for federal laws which protect human life and liberty. NCHLA was founded in 1974 by the Catholic Bishops of the United States and is based in Washington, DC. More information about our mission is available here. Mentorship and project oversight will be provided by BTS Software Solutions, a Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business that performs software engineering and development for the Department of Defense. BTS Software Solutions and HLA will jointly develop an internship plan of action for each selected applicant based on their availability, skill level, academic needs, and work location. Terms and length of the internship are negotiable.
The Project: Create a mobile-responsive website and application for use by lobbyists and grassroots activists which contains:
- An interactive map of the US showing States, counties, congressional districts and catholic dioceses and each Catholic (Latin and Eastern rites) parish therein;
- Demographic information indicating the number of Catholic constituents, Catholic social services, educational institutions, healthcare institutions, child care, elder care facilities;
- Vital statistics indicating total population of each congressional district; the Catholic population and percentage of each district as well as ethnic groups by percentage;
- Lay associations and fraternal organizations;
- “Crowd-sourcing” feature which enables individual Catholic agencies to indicate how many clients they have served in a year;
- Names and contact information for all federally elected representatives.
The Successful candidate will possess:
- Basic knowledge of and respect for the Catholic Church and its beliefs, practices, and structures;
- Strong attention to detail, ability to use independent judgment and to take initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to work well with a team, and to prioritize tasks;
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills and an ability to multi-task;
- Web application development skills and ability to interact with a database and web services;
- Mapping APIs (e.g., OpenLayers, Leaflet) knowledge a major plus;
- Ability to follow policies and procedures and to handle confidential information;
- Zeal for the cause of defending human life in federal law and a desire to support the legislative priorities of the USCCB Committee on Pro-Life Activities.
Please send a resume together with a statement of why you wish to participate in the mission of HLA to: [email protected] or by mail to P.O. Box 34116, Washington, DC 20043,. Please indicate Summer Tech Intern Application in the subject line.